Country: Republic of Somaliland
Name of the Project: Domestic Revenue Mobilization and Public Financial Capacity Strengthening Project
Project ID: P151492, TF#: TF-A0389
Assignment Title: Budget Adviser
Place of Assignment: Hargeisa, Somaliland
Deadline: 11 March 2020, at 4:00 PM (Hargeisa Time)
The Government of Somaliland has received Additional Financing from the World Bank towards the implementation of the Domestic Revenue Mobilization (DRM) and Public Financial Management (PFM) Capacity Strengthening Project. The overall project development objective (PDO) is to ‘strengthen systems of domestic revenue mobilization, expenditure control and accountability in Somaliland.
Consistent with its National Development Plan II, the Government of Somaliland (GoSL) is in the process of reviewing its revenue laws, regulations and procedures and undertaking reforms and modernization efforts to ensure enhanced efficiency and optimal productivity. As part of its continuous improvement drive, the GoSL through the Domestic Revenue Mobilization (DRM) and Public Financial Management (PFM) Capacity Strengthening Project requires the services of a technical adviser in the Budget Department, Ministry of Finance.
- Scope of Work and Responsibilities
The budget expert will be working with the Budget and Planning Department in the Somaliland Ministry of Finance Development. The scope the consultancy assignments include, but not limited to: (i) Providing support and review of the Macro Economic Fiscal Framework (MFF) and Medium-Term Expenditure Framework (MTEF) guideline development. (ii)Reviewing the existing budget policies and procedures in line with international best practices and suggesting improvements. (iii)Reviewing the Somaliland Standard Chart of Accounts to merge central government systems with autonomous agents and local governments. (iv)Reviewing the Ministry of Finance Development medium- and long-term strategies along with Fiscal and Monetary Policies for the budget preparation. (v) Reviewing the budget preparation and execution modules of the financial information system (IFMIS) for improvements (vi) Preparing budget manual for the budgeting and planning department and providing trainings on its implementation
(vii) Reviewing the revenue forecasting, treasury management, and debt management systems for improvements. (viii) Analyzing the key post and pre budget documents namely: Budget Estimates, Enacted/Approved Budget, Public Finance Act, Fiscal Strategy Paper, Budget Review and Outlook Paper, Quarterly Implementation Reports, Audit Reports (ix) Providing training on guidelines and training on the use of Public Expenditure and Financial Accountability tools (PEFA tools) to carry out internal self-assessments. he/she will perform other services detailed in the TOR.
- Selection Criteria
Selection shall be based on qualification and experience of the candidate and followed by an interview. The minimum qualification, experience and skills should include:
- MA in Economics, Finance, Public Policy or related field; PhD in Economics, Finance, Public Policy or related field is Preferred;
- Membership in professional accounting body (ACCA, CA, CPA, CSAA, CIPFA) is preferred but not a requirement;
- Experience and Skills
- A minimum of ten (10) years of experience undertaking advisory work government budgeting process and implementation, PFM reforms, and administration, including change management/reform processes.
- Experience relevant to designing and implementing public sector financial assessments that improve government ministries’ budgetary effectiveness, transparency, and accountability is desirable
- International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) and International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) knowledge is desirable.
- Experience with budgetary policies and practices, financial regulations and rules and with financial systems of enterprise resource planning (ERP) is required and IFMIS knowledge is required.
- Ability to proactively seek and recommend sound policy initiatives.
- Demonstrated ability to transfer skills and knowledge to others.
- Good communication, negotiation and diplomatic skills.
- The Ministry of Finance now invites eligible Individual Consultants to indicate their interest in providing these services. Interested Individual Consultants must submit their Curriculum Vitae (CV) and cover letter indicating that they are qualified to perform the services. The detailed TOR will be forwarded to the applicant upon submission of application in person or by e-mail to the address below.
- The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraphs 3.14, 3.16 and 3.17 of the World Bank’s Procurement Regulations for IPF Borrowers: Procurement in Investment Financing Goods, Works, Non-Consulting and Consulting Services dated July 2016 and revised in November 2017 and August 2018, (“Procurement Regulations”), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest.
- A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the Individual Consultants Selection method set out in the World Bank’s Procurement Regulations.
Mode of submission of Applications and deadline:
The detailed Terms of Reference (ToR) for the assignment can be found at the following website: ? www.somalilandpfm.org or can be provided upon submission of application in person or by e-mail. The e-mail address is provided below from 8:30 to 16:00 pm Hargeisa time (Excluding public holidays).
Expressions of interest (EOI) and CV must be delivered (in person or by e-mail) in a written form in three (3) hard copies (if not by e-mail) to the address below by 11 March 2020 at 4:00 pm (Hargeisa Time) – marked clearly as – Budget Adviser.
Domestic Revenue Mobilization and Public Financial Management Reform Coordination Unit,
Ministry of Finance, Hargeisa, Somaliland
Republic of Somaliland, Opposite of Ministry of Higher Education and Science
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, and to email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org, and cc: email@example.com